Monday, January 14, 2013

point of view



here we are, 14 days into another new year. incredibly interesting times we live in. a world of distraction. smoke and mirrors everywhere. what are we to believe? i believe in my two incredible children and i believe in helping them be happy and strong and free. 


i've been reflecting on the past in this time, as one does, with a view to rolling forward powerfully. gave our song 'purple haze' (one from the heart of my brother hamish) a listen the other day. not quite the same as a trip to oz, but very evocative for me nonethless. and so when leila asked me what song we should have for the next 'free music friday' i looked no farther.

spent a couple of hours looking at a sky full of stars with milan the other night. learnt a couple of new constellations. very thankful to be in a place with a clear sky. it's always a good way to appreciate the big picture and to step outside oneself for a while.

we played a benefit concert last night for a local lad battling leukemia. the response from the community was incredible. makes me all the more glad to be in a place like this in times like these. power on little man.

after our set i stepped outside with drewski to once again contemplate the night sky. like milan, drew knows his stars. the picture can indeed be quite large. 

i've changed my point of view a good many times since the days on the farm. and i no doubt will again. being a dad is by far the most potent, challenging, inspiring and motivating point of view. as i envision 2013, year of the snake, i feel some rather large changes acoming. 

for now, i am still bearded. incredibly bearded. how did that happen, you wonder? i ask myself the same question. i've been mistaken for many people this past year - ned kelly. grizzly adams. jeremiah johnson. a homeless man. the list goes on. my mother is horrified but my baby daughter loves it and that has been reason enough to stay the razor a while. but the beard does now need to be introduced as a separate entity when i meet someone new. and that is sobering. but the beard does have a purpose. a mission. and that mission shall reveal itself soon now. patience my friends.


as the new year unfolds, i give thanks for those around me. family. band mates. the brother team. and all of you who continue to support us. may we all have a happy and exciting 2013...


your brother,
angus

4 comments:

  1. I must admit my curiosity is piqued as to the ultimate "mission and purpose" of your facial hair. Most men I've known who grew beards did so simply due to a lack of desire to bother shaving. May I hazard a guess, before you reveal the answer, that perhaps you are growing it out to donate to Locks of Love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally love the beard. My husband has one like it only grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beard gives an "Old World" air to you, at least in pictures and makes me think of Religion. The comparison between a younger version of you with long hair and no whiskers, and the older clipped hair and long whiskers is as from the younger Braveheart to the older wiser Fiddler on the Roof!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how much hair can grow in the span of a developing life?

    ReplyDelete